Sales can be a grind.
Tons of ups: winning huge deals, making new friends, finally earning the trust of a prospect...
Lots of downs: long days, problems that won’t ever go away, too may emails and unreturned phone calls, daily rejection...
What keeps the BEST sales teams going?
Compensation is important, but it’s not everything. In fact, plenty of research has shown that making a difference in the lives of others, for example, is more important than pay.
In "The Leadership Challenge”, authors James Kouzes and Barry Posner reveal their research on what specifically brings people meaning to their work and life.
What they discovered is that people desire:
- Integrity: Pursuing values and goals congruent with their own
- Purpose: Making a significant difference in the lives of others
- Challenge: Doing innovative work
- Growth: Learning and developing professionally and personally
- Belonging: Engaging in close and positive relationships
- Autonomy: Determining the course of their own lives
- Significance: feeling trusted and validated
If you are a sales manager or a leader in your company, are you helping to fulfill these desires for your team?
If you are in the trenches working directly with customers, how does this list stack up with your company or the team that you work on?
Finally- what is ONE thing you can do to improve ONE of these areas in your organization?
Vice President of Commercial Sales at cfm Distributors, Inc.
Brad joined the cfm team in 2006, and now as the Vice President of Commercial Sales, he focuses on business development, as well as helping contractors and engineers find creative and unique solutions to any size HVAC project. When he’s not at work, Brad enjoys photography, running and spending time with his family.